Frequently Asked Questions About Child Custody

Nicole Quattrocchi | | Categories: attorney , Business Formation , Civil Litigation , Contract Drafting & Review , Court , Expense , Family Law & Domestic Relations , lawyer , LGBT Issues & Custody , Small claims , Wills & Trusts

Going through a divorce is difficult all by itself and adding a custody battle to this can make things more challenging and emotional. However, with the right child custody information, you can prepare yourself appropriately for the court hearings and go through the legal procedures with a much calmer mindset.

Unfortunately, when it comes to legal advice, there are a ton of questions people have but often find answers difficult to come by. At The Quattro Firm, L.L.C., we understand the challenges you face and want to arm you with the most accurate information available so you can exercise your rights and protect your child’s best interests. To do so, we’ve answered some of the most frequently asked questions about child custody.

1. Why do I have to file a paternity action if I’m named on the birth certificate?

Just because you are named on a birth certificate or signed a birth certificate does not mean that your paternity has been established. If you were not married to the mother of the child, your paternity needs to be legally established.

2. If we have 50-50 custody, why do I have to pay child support?

Child support is calculated based on the needs of the child, the financial abilities of the parents and timesharing. Just because the timesharing is equal, it may not extinguish your child support requirement. If your income is double or triple the income of the other parent, you will need to pay child support.

3. Why should I fight if the woman always wins?

There’s a common misconception that women are always awarded full custody or majority timesharing. This is false. The standard in Florida is for equal time-sharing. No one gender is deemed to be more favorable than the other in terms of majority time-sharing, regardless of who may have been the previous majority caregiver.

4. What if I don’t want child support?

Child support cannot be waived in Florida. The reason is that it’s not for you, it’s for the child. If the child is entitled to receive child support, then child support should be paid and received for the child.

5. Once my child turns eighteen, will my support obligation end?

If your child is eighteen and has graduated from high school, then your support obligation should end, barring disability or some other reason why the support should continue past eighteen. If your child turns eighteen and is still in high school, Florida favors supporting the child through the end of high school as long as it appears that the child will graduate before nineteen.

In case you have any more questions about child custody or other legal matters, get in touch with the experts at The Quattro Firm, L.L.C. As the best legal advisor in West Palm Beach, Florida, we ensure you completely understand your case and the law that governs it. We make it our duty to understand your needs so we can advocate with compassion. With years of experience on our side, we can navigate you through your trials with ease and grace. To learn more about how we can help you, please click here or contact us by clicking here.